Haverfordwest Landlord Fined for Dangerous Gas Appliances

A buy to let landlord in Haverfordwest has been fined over £15,000 and made to pay costs, amounting to a total of nearly £18,000 for failing to maintain gas appliances at his rental property in the town.

The landlord, Gous Ahmed, was found guilty at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court of breaching Regulation 36 (1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

The rental property in question, situated in Haverfordwest, was first inspected by Pembrokeshire council officers at the end of 2014. When representatives from British Gas also visited the property a few months later in February 2015, they found the boiler and fire to be ‘immediately dangerous’ putting the residing tenant at potential risk of harm.

On further investigation the landlord was also found by the Health and Safety Executive to have not obtained the required Landlord Gas Safety Record for the rental property.

Despite improvement enforcement action by the Health and Safety Executive and various letters from the authorities, he still failed to obtain the Landlord Gas Safety Record.

This continued until the rogue landlord was cautioned over the lack of Landlord Gas Safety record and invited for interview over the matter.

Mr Ahmed, also of Haverfordwest, pleaded guilty to the charges at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court and was fined £15,290 and ordered to pay costs of £2,500 to reach a total outlay of £17,790.

Following the case Health and Safety Executive inspector Simon Breen commented: ‘Mr Ahmed put the residents and other members of the public at risk of harm by failing to maintain gas appliances in the domestic property.’

He continued: ‘Landlords and duty holder must ensure they obtain a Landlord Gas Safety Record and they maintain all gas appliances in accordance with the law.’