Law Lab – Advice on UK Property Law

Property law advice for property

investors from
Monarch Solicitors


Law Lab - Advice on UK Property Law Residential Landlord

Our Law Lab will answer as many email questions as practical but cannot guarantee to respond to all. Responses, which will be posted in the ‘Law Lab’ section of Residential Landlord and answers are provided by Monarch Solicitors.

By posting a question you are also registering to receive Residential Landlord email updates.


Law Lab - Advice on UK Property Law Residential Landlord
Manchester Office: 0161 464 8033
London Office: 0207 592 0206

Every organisation needs advice from time to time whether it’s just to run things by someone from a legal perspective or when a crises breaks out.
Monarch Solicitors are offering a FREE 3 MONTHS TRIAL for Landlords, Management Companies and SME’s. If you find the service beneficial and want to continue with it, Monarch Solicitors will produce a tailored quote to your organisation.


What does the legal helpline offer me?
Emergency Legal Helpline
CALL: 0161 820 8888
Your own ON CALL legal team
Unlimited access to our legal team for email/telephone queries
60 minutes advice for each issue
Discounted rates for work that falls outside of the Helpline service
Tailored Out of Hours Service Level Agreements
Sector focused news alerts, legal briefings and blogs
Discounted Training packages
Areas we can help you on: Click Here to find out more
Landlord and Tennant: SME Business: Commercial Property:
Rent Arrears Litigation Commercial Leases
Right to Manage Contracts Conveyancing
Enfranchisement Partnership Social Housing
Service Charges Disputes Company Law Development
Negotiating Leases Debt Recovery Regeneration
Advocacy Employment Construction
Evictions Insolvency Planning
Breach of Covenants Urgent Injunctions Compulsory Purchase
Orders (CPO’s)
Property Tribunal Applications VAT, Customs & Excise
Click Here to learn more about our services.



The Law Lab says……

Family lets

Is it possible for a buy to let landlord to let their buy to let property out to a family member? I am considering purchasing a property to help my daughter out. Is this possible?

This will depend on whether the lender allows letting to family members or not.  Some lenders specifically prohibit family members occupying properties purchased with a buy to let mortgage and you should therefore check with the proposed lender in advance.

House in Multiple Occupation

I have a multiple occupation terraced property with ground floor commercial shop let on lease, the adjoining property next door is under going an extension but the owner builder has caused extensive damage to the kitchen area of my shop resulting in leaking roof etc.My tenant has engaged a private builder to do the repairs resulting in costs amounting to £2,500. My tenant wants me to reimburse him plus compensation as it has held him up in selling. Am i responsible for this or should my tenant approach the builder responsible for causing the damage.

It is likely that under the terms of your lease with your commercial tenant, you will be responsible to him for any damage to his property caused by the exterior or structure. You should though check the lease and, if necessary seek advice on this. If so, then you have a claim against the owner of the adjoining property in trespass and/or nuisance for damages which would include the reasonable costs of repairing your property, and any other losses which have directly flowed.

Law Lab - Advice on UK Property Law Residential Landlord