Storm Damage the Most Common Winter Insurance Claim

Storm damage is the most frequent winter insurance claim for buy to let property investments, according to new research.

Insurance claims often surge in the winter as the colder climate puts strain on even the most well-equipped rental property. New research from Simple Landlords Insurance found that the most common claims put forward by landlords in winter include storm damage and burst pipes. The cost of such issues typically ranges from between £1,770 and £5,150.

Another common reason for damage claims are fallen trees, an issue which might sound unusual but is more frequent than expected in strong winter winds. Claims for tree damage can reach up to £2,230.

At the more expensive end of the scale, flooding can become an incredibly costly claim, averaging at £19,500 for severe damage. In contrast, boiler issues typically cost around £270 per repair. However, boiler breakdowns affect one in five houses annually, and therefore the problem is far more likely to occur.

Frequent inspections are a necessity for landlords to ensure everything is working correctly. Furthermore, as Christmas edges closer, factors such as tenants overloading sockets with fairy lights becomes a prevalent, albeit seasonal, issue.

Senior underwriting manager at Simple Landlords Insurance, Andy Wynne-Jones, said: ‘With this winter predicted to be one of the coldest in many years, landlords need to take steps to get their properties and their insurance up-to-scratch. A well-maintained property is far more likely to be able to weather the winter weather. Inspections are key, and now is the time to make sure your roof is secure, boiler healthy, pipes insulated, gardens cleared and maintained to prevent trees or objects being picked up by high winds. Also you need to ensure that tenants aren’t overloading sockets with Christmas lights or using any un-PAT-tested appliances. Now is also a great time to check your insurance policy to make sure everything is up to date, and you’re covered if you should need to make a winter claim.’